Friday, January 28, 2011

Brew Day: English IPA

It is no secret that I am not a huge fan of the typical American IPA. While I do drink them on the rare occasion that my local has a particularly good one on tap, namely "Flower Power" by Ithaca Brewing Co, it is not a style I really enjoy brewing or drinking very often. However, when it comes to English IPA, I absolutely love the stuff. For me there is nary a thing better than mixing the intensely rich biscuit malt profile of a good British ale with a heavy dose of the soft, aromatic East Kent Golding hop. Whereas American IPA's scream citrus, pine, and bitter agression, the English version tends to much more balanced with a solid malt background, firm bitterness, and an intensely floral, marmalade like aroma. For me, perfection is found in balance and English IPA has it in spades. And since I have yet to find a commerical version here in the States that best represents those I had in England, I like to brew it a lot.

This is a recipe I have brewed a number of times now and have really enjoyed the results. This batch will serve as a test batch for the upcoming National Homebrew Contest in April.
  
Green Thumb, English India Pale Ale

Recipe Specifics
-----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.4
Anticipated OG: 1.062
Anticipated SRM: 11.4
Anticipated IBU: 58.0
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes



Grain/Sugar
------------
85.0% - 8.0 lbs. Pale Malt, Maris Otter
8.0% - 0.75 lbs. Crystal Malt, 60L
4.0% - 0.38 lbs. Crisp, Amber Malt
3.0% - 0.28 lbs. Wheat, Malt

Hops
------
1.00 oz. Magnum, (Pellet 10.00% AA) @ 60 min
0.50 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellet 4.50% AA) @ 30 min.
1.00 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellet 4.50% AA) @ 10 min.
1.00 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellet 4.50% AA) @ Flameout
1.50 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellet 4.50% AA) @ Dry Hop, 7 days

Yeast: Wyeast Labs 1187, Ringwood
Mash 152F for 75 min

Notes:
1/28/11 - Brewed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.