Thursday, February 3, 2011

Brew Day: Irish Dry Stout

I have been brewing long enough to know when I have a good recipe on my hands. This is one of those recipes. What originally started out as an attempt to brew a Beamish Stout clone - a beer that holds a very dear place in my heart - has over time evolved into something that is both amazingly delicious and completely unlike Beamish or any other commerical Irish stout for that matter. This beer is intensely black and roasty, lots of espresso and caramel flavors, and very chocolaty. It goes down like silk and finishes quite dry, accentuating the roast character. I usually brew this with flaked barley, but sometimes I use flaked oats for a more luscious mouthfeel. I normally brew this beer with Pacman yeast, though this time am going to try it out with some wyeast 1450 that I have left over from my recently kegged American Amber. I took a lot of pictures of the brew day, but as usual forgot to put the memory card into the camera before doing so. No pics.

Cramer's Lane, Irish Dry Stout

Recipe Specifics
-----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.48l
Anticipated OG: 1.045
Anticipated FG: 1.010
Anticipated SRM: 43.8
Anticipated IBU: 30.0
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar
------------
71.0% - 6.0 lbs. Pale Malt, Maris Otter
10.0% - 0.85 lbs. Roasted Barley, 500L
7.0% - 0.60 lbs. Flaked Oats, Toasted
5.0% - 0.43 lbs. Chocolate Malt, 400L
4.0% - 0.34lbs. Extra Dark Crystal, 160L
3.0% - 0.26lbs. Kiln Coffee Malt

Hops
------
0.75 oz. Magnum, (Pellet 10.00% AA) @ 60 min
0.50 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellet 4.50% AA) @ flameout

Yeast: Wyeast Labs 1450, Denny's Favorite 50

Mash 152F for 75 min

Notes:
2/03/11 - Brewed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.