Monday, April 11, 2011

Brew Day II: Foreign Extra Stout

I must have got my brewing seasons mixed up. Springtime finally arrives and I go and brew three high-gravity dark beers - but all winter I brewed practically nothing but low gravity, thirst quenching session ales. Though in my defense, strong dark beers are popular in Jamaica, Ceylon, Nigeria, and other places with oppressive heat. Anyways, the beer I brewed (on Sunday) was one that I have brewed a few times before and enjoyed thoroughly. The recipe is mostly of my own creation and dates back to my early days of homebrewing when most of what I knew came from the Joy of Homebrewing or Designing Great Beers. I've tweaked the recipe a bit over the years. For this batch, I'm using Ringwood as I had a spare pack, though I would normally use Pacman.

A bit of motivation...
The Duke : Foreign Extra Stout

Recipe Specifics
-----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.30
Anticipated OG: 1.072
Anticipated FG: 1.015
Anticipated SRM: 50.0
Anticipated IBU: 45.0
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar
------------
75.2% - 8.5 lbs. Pale Ale Malt
8.8%   - 1.0 lbs. Crystal 80L
6.2%  - 0.70 lbs. Roasted Barley
4.4%  - 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt  
3.1%  - 0.35 lbs. Special "B"
2.2%  - 0.25 lbs. Flaked Wheat

Hops
------
2.50 oz. US Goldings @ 60 min for 45 IBU
0.50 oz. US Golding @ flameout  for 0 IBU

Yeast: Wyeast Labs 1187 Ringwood 
Mash 152F for 75 min
Brewed 10 April

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.