Friday, April 8, 2011

random mini-update

Been a while since I've posted anything, though I've done a bit of brewing. Made the Humphreys Lager, a Coffee Oatmeal Stout, and a small batch of Berliner Weisse that I'll probably go crazy on and add some random sour dregs and cherries... maybe even add some hibiscus syrup and go totally nuts. Talking about hibiscus, one of my favorite summer beers is a standard American Wheat that is brewed and dry hopped with dried hibiscus flowers (sepals) and a bit of ginger/cinnamon. Turns out ruby red in color and tastes great - very similar to the "Flor de Jamaica" drinks you get in Mexico. I'll have to brew up another batch sometime this summer, it was a big hit with the ladies too.

This weekend will consist of two brew sessions - Tomorrow I'll be making 'the' Smuttynose Porter, as I was lucky enough to get the real recipe a few years ago. Smuttynose makes some excellent beer and their porter is among the best out there. And then on Sunday, I'll be brewing up 'the Duke' - a mean Foreign Extra Stout that I've brewed a few times now and enjoyed. No special bitters or dark milds or brown porters. I need a break from those.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.