Sunday, May 8, 2011

Brew Day: American Wheat

I might be cutting it close, but I have about 22 days to brew, bottle, and condition three more beers before the State Fair entries are due. Normally I would try to give myself more time, though a late spring and lots of work leave little time for brewing. Today I'll be brewing a hoppy American Wheat made with pilsner malt, white wheat malt, and hopped with Amarillo and Simcoe for aroma; as for the pilsner malt, I was all out of regular pale malt and didn't want to use Maris Otter. I've never made this beer before, though I hope it turns out to be an easy drinking, hoppy wheat beer for summer.


No Name Summer Beer: American Wheat

Recipe Specifics
-----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.00
Anticipated OG: 1.054
Anticipated FG: 1.012
Anticipated SRM: 4.0
Anticipated IBU: 25
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Sugar
------------ 
55.6%  - 5.0 lbs. Pilsner Malt 
44.4%  - 4.0 lbs. White Wheat Malt

Hops
------
1.00 oz. US Goldings @ 60 min for 19 IBU
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ 10 min for 5.4 IBU
1.00 oz. Simcoe @ flameout
1.00 oz. Amarillo @ flameout 
0.75 oz. Simcoe @ Dry Hop 
0.75 oz. Amarillo @ Dry Hop

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 American Ale
Mash 154F for 75 min
Brewed 8 May

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.