Sunday, June 12, 2011

Brew Day: American IPA w/ Invert No. 1

This just might be the most hops you'll ever see in one of my recipes. At nearly a half-pound of hops for a four gallon batch, this should be one of the hoppier beers I've ever made. The idea for this beer came to me after drinking a few pints of Ithaca's Flower Power IPA on cask at my local; the beer was beautifuly hoppy, dry, bitter, and aromatic, though with enough malt backbone to balance the assault of hop flavor. Such a beer could make a IPA drinker out of me! While my version is not intended to be a clone of any sorts, I thought it would make for a light, hoppy pint and it would give me a chance to use up a bunch of Centennial and Amarillo hops I had laying around.The munich and amber malt should provide a rounded maltiness (with a nod to English IPA) and the Invert syrup will hopefully add a honeyish-sweetness and help dry the beer out a bit. I normally prefer an Amarillo/Simcoe hop schedule, though I am nearly out of Simcoe (like everyone else it seems!).  

Invert India Pale Ale : American IPA
Humphreys Hops

Recipe Specifics:
-----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.00
Anticipated OG: 1.065
Anticipated FG: 1.010
Anticipated SRM: 7.4
Anticipated IBU: 66
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes 

Grain/Sugar
------------ 
80.0%  - 8.0 lbs. Pale Malt
7.5%    - 0.75 lbs. Munich Malt
2.5%    - 0.25 lbs. Amber Malt 
10.0%  - 1.0 lbs. Invert No. 1 

Hops
-----
0.75 oz. Columbus @ 60 min for 34.8 IBU
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ 15 min for 6.9 IBU
0.50 oz. Centennial @ 15 min for 8 IBU
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ 10 min for 5 IBU
0.50 oz. Centennial @ 10 min for 5.8 IBU
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ 5 min for 2.8 IBU
0.50 oz.Centennial @ 5 min for 3.2 IBU
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ flameout
0.50 oz. Centennial @ flameout
1.00 oz. Simcoe dry hop (7 days)
1.00 oz. Amarillo dry hop (7 days)

Yeast: Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale
Mash 152F for 75 min
Brewed 12 June

1 comment:

  1. Definitely want to hear how the invert works out for you in this beer. I've been looking for a good twist for an APA recipe. Recipe looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. No spam please.