Monday, June 27, 2011

Brew Day: Aussie Cream Ale

Mmm. Cream ale. I've been dreaming of pouring a cold and brilliantly clear cream ale into a frosty mug, on a hot summer day for a while now. While it may not be the most flavorful of styles or excite your average beer nerd like an IIPA, there is something about this slightly flavorful and alcoholic water substitute that just says "America" to me. Cream ale, a beer best drunk when the weather is hot, the fish are biting, and a hammock in the shade is only a short distance away. BBQ goes especially well with cream ale too. While this is not a style I brew very often at all, maybe once a year, I have a big family gathering to attend next month and I figure this should be a crowd pleaser. The recipe for this one is very simple, just pilsner malt and some flaked maize. However, instead of using a neutral American ale yeast like US-05 or WY1056, I'm going to go with some washed WLP009 Australian Ale. A bit ironic yeast choice, yes, though I liked the clean, lager-like character it gave my Sparkling ale so much I wanted to try it out again.

Official beer of camping
No Snazzy Name : Cream Ale

Recipe Specifics:
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.50
Anticipated OG: 1.045
Anticipated FG: 1.006
Anticipated SRM: 3.4
Anticipated IBU: 18
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
88.2% - 7.5 lbs. Pilsner Malt
11.8% - 1.0 lbs. Flaked Maize

Hops:
------
1.0 oz. Tettnang @ 60 min for 18 IBU
1.0 oz. Tettnang @ flameout

Yeast: WLP009 Australian Ale (washed)
Mash 152F for 75 min
Brewed on 27 June

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.