Monday, June 6, 2011

Brew Day: Australian Sparking Ale

I can't say I've ever had more than a bottle or two of Coopers Sparkling Ale in my life, though when I came across a lonely tube of WLP009 Australian Ale in the back of the brew store's yeast refrigerator, I knew exactly what I wanted to make with it. Looking back through some old BYO magazines for ideas on how to make such a beer, I came across an old summer issue on Australian brewing and a basic recipe for a Sparkling Ale clone - Bingo! I pretty much followed the recipe to the book, though I used pale malt instead of pilsner and as I didn't have any Pride of Ringwood hops (or Cluster) I used Nugget instead. When the temperature gets up towards the high nineties, this beer should be pretty tasty!

Brewing on the cheap
Coopers Clone : Sparkling Ale

Recipe Specifics
-----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.25
Anticipated OG: 1.047
Anticipated FG: 1.005
Anticipated SRM: 5-8
Anticipated IBU: 25
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar
------------ 
84.8%  - 7.0 lbs. Pale Malt
9.1%    - 0.75 lbs. White Wheat Malt
6.1%  - 0.50 lbs. CaraAmber 

Hops
------
0.50 oz. Nugget @ 60 min for 25 IBU
0.50 oz. EKG @ flameout

Yeast: White Labs 009 Australian Ale
Mash 150F for 75 min
Brewed 6 June

Notes: The yeast starter on this one produced a pretty pitiful amount of yeast for pitching. Probably was old yeast. Hopefully fermentation takes off without too much lag time.... it took off within 12 hours. Yay.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.