Saturday, July 16, 2011

Brew Day: Scottish 80/-

As much as I love Scotland - its history and beer - I can't say I brew that many Scottish ales. Once in a long while I'll make a Wee Heavy or a big oatmeal stout with the Scottish ale yeast (wy1728) to put aside until winter. There is something about a big, malty Scottish ale that is just perfect when the weather is cold and the nights are long. Anyways, I recently decided it had been too long since I made a malty, low gravity Scottish ale. I guess I felt guilty for having neglected this wonderful little beer style for so long. This might not be the best beer to drink in the 95 degree August heat, but it sure is a tasty one. The recipe is just something I made up from a mix of recipes I found online. I would normally just use pale malt and a touch of black malt, with heavy kettle caramelization for more authenticity, though it's damn hot outside and I don't feel like standing in the heat any longer than I have to.

Young Pretender : Scottish Ale

Recipe Specifics:
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 7.15
Anticipated OG: 1.045
Anticipated FG: 1.012
Anticipated SRM: 14.5
Anticipated IBU: 18
Efficiency: 75%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
83.9% - 6.0 lbs. Pale Malt, Golden Promise
7.0%   - 0.5 lbs. Crystal 80L
3.5%   - 0.25 lbs. Crystal 120L
3.5%   - 0.25 lbs. Honey Malt
2.1%   - 0.15 lbs. Pale Chocolate

Hops:
------
0.75 oz. Organic Kent Goldings @ 60 min for 18 IBU

Yeast: Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale
Mash 156F for 75 min
Brewed on 16 July

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.