Monday, July 18, 2011

Brew Day: Special Bitter

I've been on somewhat of a 'session beer' brewing kick lately. My last four batches have all been under 1.050, with minimal hopping and bitterness. It must have something to do with the oppressive heat and humidity we've been experiencing. Whatever the reason, I figured I'd brew up another bitter as my recent ordinary bitter is nearly kicked and I like to have at least one bitter on tap at all times. This time I'm going for a pale colored bitter, using less dark crystal to allow the biscuity grain character to come through and to increase drinkability. Hop bitterness will also be restrained, though I'll be using three UK hop varieties  (including Sovereign) to make things a bit interesting. Probably will do a short dry hop on this one too. 

Creek Bitter II : Special/Best Bitter

Recipe Specifics:
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 6.75
Anticipated OG: 1.044
Anticipated FG: 1.012
Anticipated SRM: 6.5
Anticipated IBU: 25
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
89.9% - 6.0 lbs. Pale Malt, Maris Otter
7.4%   - 0.5 lbs. Crystal 25L
3.7%   - 0.25 lbs. Amber Malt

Hops:
------
0.75 oz. UK Fuggles @ 60 min for 19 IBU
0.50 oz. Organic EKG @ 15 min for 7.1 IBU
1.00 oz. UK Sovereign @ flameout 

Yeast: Wyeast 1318 London Ale III
Mash 154F for 75 min
Brewed on 18 July

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.