Friday, September 2, 2011

Brew Day: Special Bitter

As if I didn't have enough bitters laying around, I figured I'd make use of the five packs of wyeast 1768 I bought last week and brew up its namesake brew. For those of you who are not familiar with this yeast, it is supposedly the Young's (bitter) strain and noted to be similar to Fullers. While I would agree that the two yeasts share some similarities, I find the former to have a more neutral character with less esters and diacetyl. It also lets the malt and hop character to come through very nicely in the finished beer. Young's bitter is an all malt brew with Maris Otter and medium crystal with Goldings and Fuggles. I decided to go a bit different route and use Golden Promise with some dark crystal and all EKG's. I am also trying out a new water profile for my bitters. Should make for a tasty pint in a few weeks.

Young's Bitter: English Special Bitter

Recipe Specifics:
-----------------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 7.5
Anticipated OG: 1.045
Anticipated FG: 1.010
Anticipated SRM: 9
Anticipated IBU: 25
Efficiency: 75%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
94.0% - 7.0 lbs. Pale Malt, Golden Promise
6%   - 0.5 lbs. Crystal 75L
  
Hops:
------
0.75 oz. Organic EKG @ 60 min for 19.2 IBU
0.50 oz. Organic EKG @ 15 min for 6.4 IBU
1.00 oz. Organic EKG @ flameout 

Yeast: Wyeast 1768 Special Bitter 
Mash 154F for 75 min
Brewed on 30 August

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.