Sunday, November 6, 2011

Brew Day: American Pale Ale II

It's been a long couple of weeks. I dumped a batch, have an oatmeal stout that might not turn out, missed the entry for the first homebrew competition of the year, and the dunkel I have lagering is much too sweet for my taste. But that's not really important in the long run. Beer can be brewed, re-brewed, and there are always more competitions to enter. At the end of the day, it's all just beer. I often forget that. Yet, what is really on my mind is that I had to put down my brew buddy of 11 years just yesterday. I don't really feel much like brewing, especially anything too complicated. The Belgian Dark Strong can wait for a better day. Instead I'll make something easy, a Pale Ale/IPA of sorts. Golden promise, Munich, medium crystal, and amber malt for a nice malt base and a bunch of citrusy American hops. The weather is nice, the packers are on, and the kegerator is full of good (enough) cold beer...

Levi's Pale Ale : American Pale Ale

Recipe Specifics:                                    ----------------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.5
Total Grain (Lbs): 10
Anticipated OG: 1.057
Anticipated FG: 1.012
Anticipated SRM: 10 
Anticipated IBU: 45                                   Efficiency: 70%

Boil Time: 60 Minutes    


Grain/Sugar:
----------------
85%  - 8.5 lbs. Golden Promise
7.5%  - 0.75 lbs. Munich Malt
5.0%  - 0.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 60L
2.5%  - 0.25 lbs. Amber Malt

Hops:
----------
0.25 oz. Columbus @ 60 min 
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ 15 min 
0.50 oz. Simcoe @ 15 min 
0.50 oz. Centennial @ 15 min 
0.50 oz. Simcoe @ 5 min  
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ 5 min
0.50 oz. Centennial @ 5 min
0.50 oz. Simcoe @ flameout
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ flameout 
0.50 oz. Centennial @ flameout
1.0 oz. Amarillo dry hop (7 days)
1.0 oz. Centennial dry hop (7 days)

Yeast: Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale
Brewed on 6 November

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your brew buddy :( I had a black lab when I was a kid and I know how loyal and awesome retrievers can be.

    That beer will turn out I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled across your blog. I'm sure your buddy will be watching. Make it a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that...what a bummer. Brewing along can be tough. I'm brewing up 10 gal tonight and it looks like I'll be alone, takes some of the fun out of it in a way. Hope you find a new brew partner soon.

    The recipe looks solid.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. No spam please.