Sunday, November 13, 2011

Brew Day: Robust Porter/Stout

I don't know about other home brewers, but it can take me a while to decide on a beer style and recipe to brew. I rarely have a list of beers to waiting to brewed, nor recipes planned out for those beers I do have in the works. Rather, I generally decide on a beer style and recipe at the last minute, all things changing over and over again in my head until the time comes to actually brew it. For instance, the beer I'm brewing today started out as a Belgian dark strong, that is, until I got a call from a friend in Ireland and we started reminiscing about our drinking days there. Naturally, the Belgian dark strong changed to an Irish dry stout. Thinking I had settled on a dry stout, I made up a few recipes in BeerSmith and got a pretty good idea of how I was going to make it. Yet, at the last minute I changed my mind, as I have a bunch of washed wlp006 Bedford Bitter yeast and I thought it would be nice to try it out in a big porter. Therefore, today's beer is a bit of mix of styles, some elements of a robust porter mixed with those of a dry stout and a slight nod to dark Belgians (sort of). Regardless, I like the looks of this recipe - chocolate and coffee with a bit of roast and some chewy, dark caramel flavor. Should be good when the weather gets really cold.

Last of the brown ale
Coal Porter : Robust Porter

Recipe Specifics
-----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.50
Anticipated OG: 1.055
Anticipated FG: 1.010
Anticipated SRM: 40.0
Anticipated IBU: 35.0
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar
------------
73.7% - 6.5 lbs. Pale, Maris Otter
8.9% - 0.85 lbs. Flaked Barley
7.4% - 0.70 lbs. Chocolate Malt
5.3% - 0.50 lbs. Special B
3.2% - 0.30 lbs. Roasted Barley
1.6% - 0.15 lbs. Carafa II

Hops
------
1.0 oz. UK Challenger @ 60 min for 30 IBU
0.50 oz. UK Fuggles @ 30 min for 15 IBU
0.50 oz. UK Fuggles @ flameout

Yeast: White Labs 006, Bedford Bitter (slurry)
Brewed on 13 November

2 comments:

  1. Looks tasty. Sounds a bit like smuttynose's robust porter. My personal favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the recipe for Smuttynose Porter somewhere on my blog. It is an excellent porter!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. No spam please.