Monday, December 5, 2011

Brew Day: Petite Saison

Going to keep this one short and sweet. The yeast starter for the Saison II (WL566) is ready and I got nowhere to go and nothing to do. Two brew days in a row, nice! I've decided to keep the recipe pretty simple and in the same spirit, go a bit 'rustic' on the water profile - I did keep my mash PH in check though. The malt bill is a mix of pils, wheat, and munich malt, hopped with (NZ) pacific jade. I've been wanting to try these hops in a saison for a while now as their flavor profile looks to be perfect fit - "herb, citrus, black pepper." Also, I was toying with the idea of adding some rye or spelt malt, based on few suggestions, but I've decided to save those grains for my sour versions. I will also be bottle conditioning this batch, something I have not done in a long time. Probably won't add spices either as I'd like to see what type of "good" phenols this yeast provides.

First taste of Levi's PA. Great stuff.
Petite Saison : Belgian Saison

Recipe Specifics:
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 3.5
Total Grain (Lbs): 5.75
Anticipated OG: 1.042
Anticipated FG: 1.005
Anticipated SRM: 4.4
Anticipated IBU: 20
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
78.3%  - 4.5 lbs. Pilsner Malt
13.0%  - 0.75 lbs. Wheat Malt
8.7%    - 0.50 lbs. Munich Malt
                                                                                                     
Hops:
------
0.25 oz. Pacific Jade @ 60 min for 20 IBU
0.50 oz. Pacific Jade @ Flameout

Yeast: WL566 Saison II
Mash 150F for 75 min
Brewed on 5 December

7 comments:

  1. Nice and simple. Great recipe to see what that yeast does. I've wanted to try Pacific Jade. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine the Saison II probably ripped through that thing already...any results? I've been kicking around the idea of doing a PAC Gem Saison myself. Can't wait to hear the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,

    It's actually been a bit sluggish, probably fermenting a bit cool. The flavor though is really quite nice. Lots of fruity esters and some clove phenolics. Gravity is still a bit high at 1.012. I'll let it sit for two weeks before doing anything with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha - just checked the gravity today and the damn thing is at 1.002! I guess warming it up really got things going. The flavor is good and the hop character is interesting. Peppery for sure.

    I am tempted to try and sour a gallon of this with lacto and maybe a bit of brett for berliner-saison type of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you intend to sour this, then are you going to add a food source for the lacto?

    With that low of a finishing gravity you could add Brett at bottling with not too much concern with over-carbing.

    Sounds like a good beer and I like the idea for Pacific Jade. I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laziness got the better of me and I never soured this one. One gallon got brett L added to the secondary (don't know if the brett will do much with such a low FG) and the rest was bottled without any bugs. I wanted to try adding the different brett strains at bottling, but I had only had a few thick Belgian bottles. I will definitely try this with my second batch though.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ive converted your recipe to an extract recipe where I test different strains, its been a hit with it consistently getting 4's and 5's on Untappd

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. No spam please.