Monday, December 26, 2011

Brew Day: Sour Saison II

I was too busy to get this batch done before Christmas, so I'm brewing it today. Departing from my original plan, I decided to take a simple approach with this batch, forgoing the spices and specialty sugars and just focusing on the yeast and brett. However, I did add some rye into the malt bill. I also will be blending yeasts with this batch and I was able to harvest enough clean, healthy yeast to make this possible. I settled on 80% Saison II (wlp566) and 20% Ardennes (wy3522). I am hoping the addition of Ardennes will add some spicy-phenol complexity to the beer and balance to the extreme fruitiness of the Saison II strain. Aside, I cracked open a few bottles of saison yesterday that I had brewed back in 2009 and lucky me, they were actually pretty good. A few of the bottles were over carbonated - at the time I used wy3724 for all my saisons and didn't give them enough time to ferment - but the flavors were quite nice. Looking forward to drinking this batch sometime next year!

Sour Saison II : Belgian Saison             
Recipe Specifics:
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.0
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.0
Anticipated OG: 1.057
Anticipated FG: 1.005
Anticipated SRM: 4.5
Anticipated IBU: 30
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
77.8%  - 6.5 lbs. Pilsner Malt
11.0%  - 1.0 lbs. Wheat Malt
5.6%    - 0.50 lbs. Munich Malt
5.6%    - 0.50 lbs. Flaked Rye
                                                                                                 
Hops:
------
0.50 oz. Pacific Jade @ 60 min for 25 IBU
0.50 oz. EKG @ 10 min 5 IBU
0.5 oz. Styrian Goldings @ flameout

Yeast: WL566 Saison II & WL Brett C in secondary
Mash 150F for 90 min
Brewed on 26 December

1 comment:

Leave a comment. No spam please.