Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Brew Day : American Pale Ale III

Another re-brew of sorts for the upcoming competitions. Whether or not I'll actually send any beers in, I still don't know. Depends on how much money It will cost me for entry fees and getting the beer to the competition in one piece. The more I think about it, I probably should just focus on brewing what I like and not what some beer judge thinks a beer style should taste like. Regardless, today I will be re-brewing my recent Levi's Pale Ale, although with a few minor adjustments for the ingredients I have on hand. The malt bill is nearly the same as the last batch - save a small 40gram addition of pale chocolate for color adjustment - and as promised I'll be using a different yeast and hop schedule. I was going to go with wy1768 Special Bitter yeast, but as I recently top cropped some more wy1318, I figure I'll give it a try. Probably not the best choice for an competition worthy APA, but screw it... should taste nice. Hopping is a bit different, as I will be using Chinook for bittering and Simcoe, Centennial, and Ahtanum for flavor/aroma. I normally would use Amarillo in a beer like this, but I figure it would be nice to see what the Ahtanum contributes to the beer. Water profile is much of the same, though as I just realized I am nearly out of gypsum, I'll keep the sulfate to around 150ppm again. Lastly, I just noticed how similar this beer is to my recent ESB re-brew. American ESB? *Shudder*

Levi's Pale Ale II : American Pale Ale
           
Recipe Specifics:
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.5
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.1
Anticipated OG: 1.057
Anticipated FG: 1.010
Anticipated SRM: 12
Anticipated IBU: 45
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
84.2%  - 8.5 lbs. Golden Promise
7.4%  - 0.75 lbs. Munich Malt
5.0%   - 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L
2.5%   - 0.25 lbs. Amber Malt
1.0%   - 0.10 lbs. Pale Chocolate
                                         
Hops:
------
0.50 oz. Chinook @ 60 min for 23 IBU
0.50 oz. Ahtanum @ 10 min for 5 IBU
0.50 oz. Centennial @ 10 min for 8 IBU
0.50 oz. Simcoe @ 10 min for 9 IBU
0.50 oz. Ahtanum @ flameout
0.50 oz.Centennial @ flameout
0.50 oz. Simcoe @ flameout
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ dryhop
0.50 oz. Simcoe @ dryhop
0.50 oz. Centennial @ dryhop

Yeast: Wyeast 1318 London III
Mash 154F for 75 min
Brewed on 24 January

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.