Sunday, January 1, 2012

Brew Day: Belgian IPA

I almost feel ashamed to brew a hoppy Belgian for the first beer of the new year. It should have been a mild, bitter, or porter. Regardless, I've been wanting to brew something like this for a while now and I had a spare pack of Ardennes yeast. I originally was looking to make something similar to Houblon Chouffe, but after looking up the recipe, I decided to go a different route. Instead of all pils malt, I went with a mixture of pils and pale malt with some white wheat malt. Hopping is an all American affair; Chinook for bittering and equal parts Amarillo, Simcoe, and Citra for 15 min, flame out, and dry hop. I will be trying out a different chilling method this time, essentially doing a 'hop stand,' where I'll bring the temp down to 180F and let the flameout additions steep in the hot wort for 45 min or so. I went with a traditional IPA water profile, although I toned down the sulfate to a more drinkable 250ppm.

Hoppy Belgian : Belgian IPA
           
Recipe Specifics:
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.0
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.75
Anticipated OG: 1.064
Anticipated FG: 1.010
Anticipated SRM: 4.2
Anticipated IBU: 60
Efficiency: 80%
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
52.6%  - 5.0 lbs. Pale Malt 
31.6%  - 3.0 lbs. Pilsner Malt
7.9%    - 0.75 lbs. White Wheat Malt
                                              
Hops:
------
0.50 oz. Chinook @ 60 min for 25 IBU
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ 10 min for 10 IBU
0.50 oz. Citra @ 10 min for 13 IBU
0.50 oz. Simcoe @ 10 min for 12 IBU
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ flameout
0.50 oz. Simcoe @ flameout
0.50 oz. Citra @ flameout
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ dryhop
0.50 oz. Simcoe @ dryhop
0.50 oz. Citra @ dryhop

Yeast: Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes
Mash 150F for 90 min
Brewed on 1 January

2 comments:

  1. A beer I'd really like to make, this one. I had a slurry of Ardennes and plenty of older Amarillo I wanted to get rid of but the holidays and other beers got in the way, so I banked the yeast and used the Amarillo in a hoppy hefeweizen instead. Good luck!

    This past fall I used the hop stand method on a pale ale but wished I avoided the dry hop to pick out its contribution. I should have waited, sampled a fair share and then keg-hopped, if I felt it needed more aroma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad,

    Good idea on the dry hopping. I'll definitely hold off a bit to see how the hop-stand method measures up. It's been a while since I've dry hopped in the keg too. Ardennes is fast becoming my favorite Belgian yeast... had a really nice homebrewed BPA yesterday that was made with it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. No spam please.