Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Brew Day: London Porter IV

Ah, back to brewing proper session beers. Saisons and Belgians make for a nice change of pace on occasion, but I don't enjoy brewing or drinking them as much as the English styles. Regardless, I have a special recipe for today, another variation of Fuller's London Porter. I keep telling myself to stick with one recipe when it comes to making brown porters, but I often find tweaking recipes is half the fun of brewing. This time I am going with a traditional malt bill, using pale, brown, crystal, and some chocolate malt. Having tried carafa malts in a few brown porter recipes, I've finally decided that while they add some nice complexity, they really aren't needed.

London Porter : Brown Porter
           
Recipe Specifics:
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.0
Total Grain (Lbs): 7.8
Anticipated OG: 1.050
Anticipated FG: 1.010
Anticipated SRM: 26
Anticipated IBU: 28
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
76.9%  - 5.0 lbs. Pale Malt, Maris Otter
8.3%  - 0.65 lbs. Brown Malt
8.3%    - 0.65 lbs. Crystal 60L
6.4%    - 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt (330L)
                                              
Hops:
------
1.0 oz. UK Fuggles @ 60 min for 25 IBU
0.50 oz. UK Fuggles @ 15 min for 3 IBU

Yeast: Wyeast 1968 London ESB
Mash 152F for 75 min
Brewed on 4 January

7 comments:

  1. This is the perfect pint, and after 40-odd batches, I've only made one and it was a small 1.5 gallon test-batch! My priorities are all wrong. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am about to bottle a brown porter with a near identical grain bill, but a little more of each of the specialty grains and some of the chocolate malt being 'pale chocolate' instead. My FG ended up at 1.016, but the samples have been excellent. Brown malt is my new favorite ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the first time in over 100+ batches, I actually drank the whole pre-fermentation hydrometer sample, it tasted so good.

    Glad to hear some love for brown malt! I've been thinking about making another porter with pale chocolate and brown malt. I got a bitter in the works that uses a bit of pale chocolate too. Those two are probably my favorite malts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What brown malt are you using? I did a very similar recipe using Baird's brown. I wondered how it compares to other brown malts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. According to my LHBS, the brown malt they stock is Thomas Fawcett's. I've seen Crisp Brown Malt as well (crisp is a British maltster as well if I'm not mistaken).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use Thomas Fawcett brown malt now, though I started out using Crisp. They are pretty much the same in terms of color, though I think the TF had a bit more roast flavor. I never tried out Bairds, though they make good quality malt and I'm sure it would be similar.

    The big difference with TF and Crisp malts is with amber malt. Crisp is much lighter than the TF and a bit mellower. I now use TF for pretty much all my English malts, as I can get their malt in bulk and they make a very high quality product. One day I'd like to tour their malt house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Baird's is a bit different just looking at the stats. Its listed as a Brown/amber and is 50L.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. No spam please.