Sunday, April 1, 2012

Brew Day: Scottish Session II

Not long ago I picked up a vial of WLP028 Edinburgh Ale with the intention of brewing a big robust porter or stout. For whatever reason, I seem to brew most of my bigger and darker beers in the spring; last year it was Smuttynose Porter and a Foreign Extra Stout. However, I figured that if I was going to use the Scottish yeast in a beer, I might as well first use it to re-brew my failed attempt at a Scottish 70/-. As you may know, my last version of this beer got infected and never made it into the keg. This time I'll be sure to do it right. The recipe is a bit different than the one before, Golden Promise malt with a small amount of roasted barley in lieu of the black patent malt. As before, I'll boil down a portion of the first runnings and then add it back to the boil. Interestingly, while Scottish ale yeast is the 'traditional' yeast for this type of beer, I have always preferred my usual wy1318 London III yeast over this one. The Scottish yeast can throw some pretty bad esters when fermented into the high 60's and doesn't always flocculate as well as I want it to. With that in mind, I'll pitch this beer at around 60F and bring the temp up to no more than 64F for the duration of the fermentation.
Session Porter

Young Pretender II : Scottish Session Ale                                                                                                
Recipe Specifics:
-----------------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.5
Total Grain (Lbs): 6.7
Anticipated OG: 1.037
Anticipated FG: 1.010
Anticipated SRM: 12-14
Anticipated IBU: 18
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
97.0% - 6.50 lbs. Pale Malt, Golden Promise
3.0%   - 0.20 lbs. Roasted Barley

Hops:
------
0.75 oz. UK Fuggles @ 60 min for 18 IBU

Yeast: WhiteLabs 028 Edinburgh Ale
Mash 158F for 75 min
Brewed on 1 April

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.