Sunday, June 3, 2012

Brew Day: LawnMower Beer

Cream ale. Not a style I brew or drink very often, although I do enjoy drinking a few pints of the homebrewed stuff at our beer club summer parties. My last attempt to make a cream ale didn't turn out at all. I am pretty sure I under-pitched the yeast (Aussie Ale) at too low of a temperature and the resulting beer was very phenolic. It got dumped. This time I'll be changing things up, using mostly pale malt with some pilsner and a small amount of carahell for a light sweetness. I am not a fan of cream ales that use a lot of flaked corn or adjuncts, as they can take on a grainy, breakfast cereal type flavor when used in large amounts. As for the hopping, I'll be using Mt. Hood and Hallertaur Mittelfrueh in larger amounts than would normally be used, aiming for a hoppy and spicy finish. Yeast will be Wyeast 1056 American Ale, fermented in the low 60's. I'll be having a large BBQ this summer and I figure I might be able to get some of my bud-lite swilling friends to drink this instead of their normal crap.

Dark Mild
LawnMower Ale : Cream Ale                                                                                                 
Recipe Specifics
-----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.0
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.25
Anticipated OG: 1.054
Anticipated FG: 1.010
Anticipated SRM: 4.5
Anticipated IBU: 20
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar
------------
72.7% - 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt, 2-Row
24.2% - 2.00 lbs. Pilsner malt
3.0%   - 0.25 lbs. Carahell

Hops
------
0.50 oz. Mt. Hood @ 60 min for 14 IBU
0.50 oz. Mittelfrueh @ 10 min for 4 IBU
0.50 oz. Mittelfrueh @ 5 min for 2 IBU
1.00 oz. Mittelfrueh @ flameout

Yeast: WY1056
Mash 152F for 75 min.
Brewed 3 June 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.