Thursday, August 16, 2012

Brew Day: Coffee Oatmeal Brown Ale

With my recently brewed Irish Stout in the keg and some London Ale yeast washed and ready to go, I've been tinkering with a few recipes that could best utilize this yeast. Initially, I was thinking of brewing an imperial stout or an English barleywine, but as I recently sampled a bottle of Cigar City's Maduro Brown Ale - it was very good - I figured similarly flavored brown ale would make for a nice change of pace. How it does with this yeast... I'll find out. The recipe I settled on is a mishmash of a few commercial recipes with some of my own. As wy1028 tends to ferment out rather dry, I wanted to make sure I had a solid base of medium and dark crystal malts to keep the beer on the maltier and sweeter side of things. Also, instead of using Maris Otter, I'll use a mix of pale and Munich malt. Flaked oats should give the beer a silky mouthfeel and a small amount of brown/chocolate malt will provide some light roast flavors. I plan to age this beer on a few ounces of ground coffee beans for a week or two once fermentation is complete. I'm looking forward to drinking this one.

Hops are coming along...
Coffee Oatmeal Brown : Brown Ale

Recipe Specifics:
-----------------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.0
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.85
Anticipated OG: 1.055
Anticipated FG: 1.012
Anticipated SRM: 24
Anticipated IBU: 27
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
67.8% - 7.0 lbs. Pale Malt
8.5%   - 0.75 lbs. Munich
5.6%   - 0.50 lbs. Flaked Oats
5.6%   - 0.50 lbs. Special B
5.6%   - 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L
4.0%   - 0.35 lbs. Brown Malt
2.8%   - 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt

Hops:
-----
1.00 oz. Fuggles @ 60 min for 21 IBU
0.50 oz. Fuggles @ 20 min for 6 IBU
0.50 oz. Fuggles @ flameout

Coffee (type and amount to be determined) added to secondary

Yeast: Wyeast 1028 London Ale
Brewed on 16 August

4 comments:

  1. Nice looking recipe there, have you ever used oat malt though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used some in a mild and bitter a long time ago. Can't say I remember how they turned out or what effect the oat malt had on the beer. Might have to pick up a few lbs and try it out again. As much as I like the contribution of flaked oats, it can be a nightmare in my MLT.

      Delete
  2. +1 on Maduro. Although I've found some retailers handle it so poorly it gets an ash tray like, wet cigar flavor. When its fresh its probably my favorite brown ale.

    But Will, I need your expert opinion. I'm brewing a mild soon. What do you think works best WY 1968 or 1318? Here is the grist

    7 lbs pale
    .25 C-120
    .75 C-75
    .25 Pale Chocolate

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend brought the bottle up from Tampa, so it must have been pretty fresh. Can't get Cigar City here otherwise.

      The mild grist looks tasty. With the darker crystal malts I'd go with wy1968, but if you are bottling, 1318 would be better for carbonation stability. Hard to go wrong with either one of those yeasts. Good luck!

      Delete

Leave a comment. No spam please.