Sunday, October 21, 2012

Brew Day: Black Rye IPA

While I don't actively search out the hardest to find and most over-hyped craft beers around, I have a few friends who do and as a result I often get to sample the fruits of their beer hunting endeavors. Can't complain about that. However, for all of these hard to find beers - the best of the best - I really can't say that any of them have lived up to their supposed greatness. Most turn out to be flavorful and enjoyable beers, but nothing so unusually good or unique that a determined homebrewers couldn't closely reproduce them. With that said, I recently tried Firestone Walker's Wookey Jack - a black rye IPA - and I liked it so much I figured I would try to brew something along the same lines. I am usually rather ambivalent about black IPA's, but unlike many examples, this beer had a nice balance of roast and citrusy hops with a pleasant rye maltiness that really adds another level of complexity. After some research, it appears the real recipe for this beer is posted on various homebrewing forums and I will be following it rather closely with a few changes. The brewery uses a mixture of pale and rye malt, midnight wheat, cara-rye, and debittered black malt. As I couldn't find any roasted wheat, I will be using some chocolate rye malt, which seems like it would be a decent substitute. Hopping will be similar, with Amarillo, Simcoe, and Centennial-type with a Citra/Amarillo dry hop. Yeast will be some WY1332, Northwest Ale.

Camping Beer
Black Wookie: Black Rye IPA
           
Recipe Specifics:
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.75
Anticipated OG: 1.065
Anticipated FG: 1.012
Anticipated SRM: 32
Anticipated IBU: 58
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
79.1% - 8.00 lbs. Pale Malt
9.3%   - 1.00 lbs. Rye Malt
4.7%   - 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Rye
3.7%   - 0.40 lbs. Cara-Rye (70L)
3.3%   - 0.35 lbs. Debittered Black (500L)

Hops:
------
0.75 oz. Columbus @ 60 min for 25 IBU
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ 15 min for 11 IBU
0.50 oz. Simcoe @ 15 min for 13 IBU
0.50 oz. Centennial-type @ 15 min for 9 IBU
1.50 oz. Amarillo @ flameout
1.50 oz. Simcoe @ flameout
1.00 oz. Centennial-type @ flameout
1.00 oz. Amarillo @ dryhop
1.00 oz. Citra @ dryhop

Yeast: Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale
Mash 152F for 60 min
Brewed on 21 October

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.