Sunday, October 14, 2012

Brew Day: Extra Stout

Following the success of my last Irish Stout, I thought I would brew something similar but with a different yeast and a bigger malt/roast profile. As I have said before, so much of brewing stouts is about getting that perfect balance of roast and bitterness, without any of the acridness that often comes with using roasted barley in large quantities. However, that balance does not come easy. I generally try to keep the amount of roasted malts in my stouts to under 10-12% and have found that mixing a dark and smokey English roasted barley with some lighter chocolate malt usually strikes a nice balance between the two, as too much of the darker stuff can easily overwhelm the flavor of the beer. Moreover, I am beginning to realize that your mash water profile has a huge impact on the beer, especially concerning ph and the amounts of sulfate, chloride, and sodium. With the recipe I have for today, I hope to achieve a medium strength, foreign extra stout with a nice mix of roastiness and coffee-chocolate type flavors. Bitterness will be medium-high and hop character low. To really see how my favorite yeast tastes in dark beers, I'll be using some washed Bedford Bitter yeast. Lastly, to keep things a bit maltier, I increased the mash temp and the amount of sodium and chloride.

The Bruce: Extra Stout
           
Recipe Specifics:
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.40
Anticipated OG: 1.060
Anticipated FG: 1.012
Anticipated SRM: 38
Anticipated IBU: 45
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
76.9% - 8.0 lbs. Pale Malt
7.2%   - 0.75 lbs. Flaked Barley
7.2%   - 0.75 lbs. Roasted Barley (TF/Muntons Mix)
4.8%   - 0.50 lbs. Medium Crystal 55L
3.8%   - 0.40 lbs. Chocolate Malt (TF)

Hops:
------
1.25 oz. Northern Brewer @ 60 min for 40 IBU
0.50 oz. Fuggles @ 15 min for 5 IBU

Yeast: Whitelabs 006 Bedford Bitter
Mash 156F for 60 min
Brewed on 14 October

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.