Monday, November 5, 2012

Brew Day: Galaxy Pale Ale

Due to the high cost and lack of availability with many of the more popular American hop varieties, I've decided that instead of trying to acquire the same "C" hops everyone else is fighting over, I'll just start brewing with more foreign grown hops... Australian and New Zealand varieties in particular. While I have always heard good things about hops grown in the Southern Hemisphere, I really can't say I know that much about them. I've only brewed a few beers that included them in any discernible amount and there aren't many (easily accessible) commercial beers that use them in large amounts. As such, I recently purchased a mix of Aussie and NZ hops and I have plans to use them in series of pale ales. I would like to get back to brewing sessionable APA's and I think these hops would make a nice counterpoint to the innumerable Amarillo-Citra-Simcoe beers that everyone is brewing and drinking these days.

The recipe for today is a stronger APA that I hope will mostly showcase the citrusy qualities of the Galaxy hops. The malt bill is very simple, Golden Promise and a small amount of medium crystal. Hopping is NZ Cascade, with mostly Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin for aroma and flavor. I was originally going to go with all Galaxy, but after talking with a few local brewers, I was told they taste better as part of a blend... as they can be a bit overpowering otherwise; similar to that of Citra. We'll see how they pair with the Nelson, which I know can be very overpowering by itself. Yeast is WY1332 (Northwest Ale), as I like that it accentuates some of the malt character while still showcasing the hops.

Galaxy APA: American Pale Ale
           
Recipe Specifics:
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.00
Anticipated OG: 1.057
Anticipated FG: 1.010
Anticipated SRM: 8
Anticipated IBU: 45
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
95.0% - 9.50 lbs. Pale Malt, Golden Promise
5.0%   - 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L

Hops:
------
0.75 oz. NZ Cascade @ 60 min for 18 IBU
0.50 oz. Galaxy @ 20 min for 16 IBU
0.50 oz. Nelson Sauvin @ 10 min for 8 IBU
0.50 oz. Galaxy @ 5 min for 3 IBU
0.50 oz. Nelson Sauvin @ flameout
1.50 oz. Galaxy @ flameout
1.00 oz. Galaxy @ dry-hop 7 days
0.50 oz. Nelson Sauvin @ dry-hop 7 days

Yeast: Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale
Mash 154F for 60 min
Brewed on 4 November

Tasting Here

1 comment:

  1. I think you'll like this beer. The Galaxy/Nelson combo is my favorite. I first had this combo on a biz trip to UK two years ago in a 3.8% bitter - blew me away

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. No spam please.