Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Brew Day: Golden Bitter

While my favorite yeast might not be the best choice for stouts and chewy porters, it sure makes a tasty bitter. And as I recently washed some Bedford Bitter yeast, I figured I'd brew something with it. I had considered making a 'Golden Ale' along the likes of Crouch Vale's Brewers Gold - a beer I would love to try on cask - but as I don't have the proper base malt or any Brewers Gold hops (never used them before), I figured I would save that beer for another day. After trying to decide between an English IPA and a lighter colored bitter, I decided to mix the best of both styles. The recipe I am using is very simple, just Golden Promise malt, torrified wheat, and a small amount of extra dark crystal with First Gold hops. If you have not used these hops before, they have a wonderful citrus/orange flavor and lend a very nice floral/apricot aroma that is unlike any other UK hop variety I've tried. Bitterness will be rather high and I might dry hop this beer in the keg if I can find some whole leaf hops. Overall, this should be a hoppy and flavorful pale bitter, right around 4.8% abv... just where I like it.

Kolsch!
Golden Bitter : Special Bitter
 
Recipe Specifics:
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.5
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.75
Anticipated OG: 1.049
Anticipated FG: 1.012
Anticipated SRM: 8
Anticipated IBU: 40
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
91.4% - 8.00 lbs. Golden Promise
5.7%  - 0.50 lbs. Torrified Wheat
2.9%  - 0.25 lbs. Crystal 150L

Hops:
------
0.75 oz. First Gold @ 60 min for 25 IBU
0.50 oz. First Gold @ 20 min for 10 IBU
0.50 oz. First Gold @ 10 min for 5 IBU
1.50 oz. First Gold @ flameout

Yeast: WhiteLabs 006 Bedford Bitter
Mash 154F for 60 min
Brewed on 24 December

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.