Monday, February 4, 2013

Brew Day: American IPA

I was going through some of my old hops to see what I had left in stock and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I have nearly a half pound of whole leaf Amarillo (2011) that I had bought last fall and apparently forgot about. As I also have a few oz of Simcoe that are getting old, I figured I'd brew a properly hoppy American IPA and use them all up. So much for brewing session beers. The recipe I am using is relatively typical for IPA's, pale malt with some medium crystal and a small amount of honey malt for a bit of sweetness. This beer should have a strong bitterness, so I want to be sure there is some malt character to back it up. Hopping is mostly Amarillo and Simcoe, although I may end up throwing a few ounces of Galaxy into the keg if the aroma is lacking. The yeast choice is wy1332 Northwest ale, as I had a spare pack and I like how it ferments cleanly and accentuates the hops; while still leaving a nice malt character. As for the water, I am going big, with sulfate levels around 350ppm and keeping everything else quite low. Should be ready for drinking by early March.

First Gold Bitter
None the Wiser : American IPA

Recipe Specifics: 
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.5
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.75 
Anticipated OG: 1.067
Anticipated FG: 1.010
Anticipated SRM: 8
Anticipated IBU: 78
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
93.6% - 10.00 lbs. Pale Malt, US
4.3% - 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L
2.1% - 0.25 lbs. Honey Malt

Hops:
------
0.50 oz. Magnum @ 60 min for 18 IBU
0.75 oz. Amarillo @ 20 min for 16 IBU
0.75 oz. Simcoe @ 20 min for 21 IBU
0.75 oz. Amarillo @ 10 min for 13 IBU
0.75 oz. Simcoe @ 10 min for 10 IBU
2.00 oz. Amarillo @ flameout
1.50 oz. Simcoe @ flameout
1.50 oz. Amarillo @ dry-hop
1.00 oz. Simcoe @ dry-hop

Yeast: Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale
Mash 150F for 75 min
Brewed on 2 February

2 comments:

  1. Looks good! I also did an IPA recently with Simcoe/Cascade and I am getting ready to dry hop it soon. What is your dry hop procedure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty typical schedule. Dry hop in secondary for 5-7 days and then if I want more character I'll sink a few oz of whole leaf hops in the keg and let is sit until it kicks. I haven't found much difference in whole hop v. pellet dryhopping when used in the secondary, although pellets give too much of a grassy flavor when left in the keg.

      Delete

Leave a comment. No spam please.