Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Brew Day: Brown Porter

With the spring weather finally improving to something besides constant snow-to-rain showers, I'm starting to feel a bit more motivated to get out and start brewing again. Admittedly, I've not done much brewing these past few months (or drinking for that matter) and it is about time I change that. The beer I am brewing today is another version of a brown porter, very similar to the Fullers recipe, but with a slight change. Instead of using a characterful English yeast - like wy1968, or my favorite, wy1318 - I'll be using some plain old wy1056. While I generally prefer my darker beers to show some yeast character, with this beer I want the focus of the flavors to be on the specialty malts, the brown malt in particular. I've noticed that a few of the smaller breweries around me have started brewing lower gravity darker beers (but not quite session strength), using various roasted malts and their neutral (house) yeasts. While these beers lack the complexity and richness of flavor that English yeasts provide, they do make for an easy drinking and flavorful beer. Moreover, I have plans to use a portion of this yeast cake to brew an imperial version of Ron's East India Porter. Looking forward to drinking this beer on tap.

Hoppy Pale Ale
Yeoman Porter II : Brown Porter

Recipe Specifics: 
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.25
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.25
Anticipated OG: 1.048
Anticipated FG: 1.010-12
Anticipated SRM: 23
Anticipated IBU: 25
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
78.8% - 6.50 lbs. Pale Malt, UK
8.5% - 0.70 lbs. Brown Malt
8.5% - 0.70 lbs. Crystal 55L
4.2% - 0.35 lbs. Chocolate Malt (350L)

Hops:
------
1.25 oz. UK Fuggles @ 60 min for 25 IBU
0.50 oz. UK Fuggles @ flameout

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 American Ale
Brewed on 17 April

2 comments:

  1. From what I remember, it turned out fine, but the brown malt needed some time to mellow out. If I were to brew this again, I would certainly drop the brown malt to 3-4% and go back to using a more characterful yeast.

    For comparison, this recipe is quite similar and it turned out excellent.

    http://perfectpint.blogspot.com/2012/10/brew-day-brown-porter.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. No spam please.