Monday, May 13, 2013

Brew Day: Imperial Porter

With the success of the East India Porter that I brewed over the Winter, I've been wanting to do a re-brew of the same recipe for a while now, but at Imperial Stout strength and with a different hop variety. Going with this idea, I had planned to use Cascade in place of the EKG - in the same quantities as before - but in the end I didn't have enough hops on hand and was slightly worried that the citrusy Cascade hops would clash with the roast flavors. Instead, I will be using Columbus for bittering and Centennial-Type (70/30 blend of Cascade and Columbus) for flavor and aroma. Moreover, unlike the original recipe where I used over a 1/4lb of hops for 4 gallons, this time I am going to take it easy on the late additions, with more emphasis on the bitterness. After all, I would like this beer to taste more like a modern "craft-brewed" Imperial Stout than your typical Black IPA. As per the malt bill, I am keeping everything the same as last time; using pale malt, nearly 20% brown malt, and smaller amounts of amber/black malt. Lastly, instead of using wy1318, I went with some wy1056 slurry that I had on hand.

American Brown
BP 1859 EI : Imperial Porter 

Recipe Specifics:
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.0
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.50
Anticipated OG: 1.082
Anticipated FG: 1.012-15
Anticipated SRM: 40
Anticipated IBU: 75
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
72.3% - 8.50 lbs. Golden Promise
19.1% - 2.25 lbs. Brown Malt
4.7%   - 0.55 lbs. Amber Malt
3.8%   - 0.45 lbs. Black Malt

Hops:
------
1.00 oz. Columbus @ 60 min for 54 IBU
0.50 oz. Centennial-Type @ 30 min for 16 IBU
1.00 oz. Centennial-Type @ 5 min for 5 IBU

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 American Ale
Mash 156F for 90 min
Brewed on 13 May
Original Recipe, Tasting Notes                                           

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. No spam please.