Monday, June 10, 2013

Brew Day: English Mild

It has been far too long since I've had a Mild on tap. Once a favorite of mine to brew and drink, I haven't made one in over a year and with Mild month just past, it is high time I get off my ass and get a batch in the fermentor. The recipe I am using for today is a pretty standard affair - similar to the Brown Porter I brewed in April - and it should make for more of a session porter than your typical, caramel-and-light roast tasting Mild. For the base malt, I am using Warminster MO, as it has a wonderful rich flavor, and rounding things out with medium and extra dark caramel, brown malt, and chocolate malt. For milds and similar beers, I generally use a blend of lighter and darker caramel malts (most often either Thomas Fawcett or Simpsons) to add malt complexity and I like some of the burnt sugar/dark raisin type flavors that the highest lovibond caramel malts contribute. Muntons' extra dark (150L) has been a recent favorite of mine... it is hard to not sneak a few grams into every dark beer recipe.

The only thing I am unsure of, with this recipe, is the yeast choice. Whereas I normally prefer to use one of the more malt forward, fruitier tasting yeasts available - wyeast 1968, 1318, 1469 - this time around I am using WY1275 Thames Valley. While this yeast is a good choice for most English styles, I haven't used it in a mild before and I am slightly worried that its 'minerally' and 'bready' flavors might be too much for such a small beer. Mineral character is fine/great with high bitterness and hopping, but not so much with soft maltiness, at least to my tastes. Really, the only reason I am using this yeast is that I was gifted a spare pack and had previously made up a larger starter that I never got around to brewing with. We'll see how it turns out.
  
Pub Bitter
Ploughman Mild : English Mild

Recipe Specifics:
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.5
Total Grain (Lbs): 6.95
Anticipated OG: 1.038-40
Anticipated FG: 1.010-12
Anticipated SRM: 22
Anticipated IBU: 17
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
79.1% - 5.50 lbs. Warminster, MO
7.2%   - 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L
5.0%   - 0.35 lbs. Brown Malt
5.0%   - 0.35 lbs. Chocolate Malt (330L)
3.6%   - 0.25 lbs. Extra Dark Crystal (150L)

Hops:
------
0.85 oz. EKG @ 60 min for 17 IBU

Yeast: Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley
Mash 158F for 60 min
Brewed on 5 June

3 comments:

  1. How did it go? Did the 1275 work out in a mild?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply, but the beer turned out "ok." However, the yeast character wasn't my favorite... too dry, neutral, and minerally. Sorta like I used Nottingham yeast. I wouldn't use it again for a mild, 1318, 1469, 1968 are just too good.

      Delete
    2. Hey no worries, it´s been a while since the brew. Anyway, not too many have tried 1275 in a mild, so I was curious. Myself I was thinking of brewing something like Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild with it, or something similar with plenty of crystal in the grist.

      Thanks for a great blog!

      Delete

Leave a comment. No spam please.