Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Interesting Stuff, or Not

As my computer and Blogger have successfully completed their devious plan to delete and then autosave over what I have been struggling to write for the past two and a half hours, I won't be sharing my thoughts on open fermentation, dual yeast strains, and my recent (and most enlightening) visit to one of our local Ringwood breweries. Instead, I will share a picture of an English style bitter...in a pint glass...that I am calling 'Pub Bitter.' This beer was an attempt to brew a darker and maltier version of Boddingtons, of which largely ended in failure. It tastes nothing like Boddies. It does, however, seem to be damn fine clone of Fullers London Pride, with an almost identical malt and yeast character. How and why? I have no idea.

Without further ado:


4.2% ABV, 20 IBU, Wyeast 1318 London III                                   
Recipe Here

2 comments:

  1. It's funny how in this hobby the best laid plans always seem to surprise us an unplanned, surprising end. I took my keg of saison to my club meeting last night and using their lines, it comes out much more fruity bubblegum when on my system at home I get nothing of the sort!

    Do you have plans to repost your previous thoughts? Would love to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. This beer was a (somewhat) pleasant surprise, although replicating the carmamel-sweet flavor of bottled UK beers is not something I want to make a habit of.

      Also, I noticed a similar effect with the beer I was bringing to my club meetings. I kept getting a slightly phenolic aroma in the samples when I served them from a bottle that had previosly been kegged, but not from growlers. Eventually figured out it was the new tubing I had bought for my beer gun.

      I'll eventually get around to posting the open fermentation stuff; it was mostly about multi-yeast strains and the interesting combinations they are used in.

      Delete

Leave a comment. No spam please.