Monday, October 28, 2013

Brew Day: Brown Porter

I have a kegerator full of good beer that desperately needs to be drunk and a fermentation chest filled with stuff that needs to be kegged. I've been brewing like a madman, yet I can't say I've been drinking much. Like practically nothing. Part of the reason for this, and I hate to admit it, is that most of the stuff I have on tap isn't what I would normally sit down and drink more than one pint of. Missing are the bitters, milds, brown ales, and other session-style beers that go down easy and leave you with that "I think I'll have another," moreish feeling. Well, today I am putting that situation right, brewing what I hope will be an easy drinking, session-y porter. Something toeing the line between a porter, mild, and brown ale. Light roast and caramel flavor, with a mellow bitterness and some brown malt toastiness. And not too heavy. The recipe I am using is pretty standard for what I normally brew, although I am trying out a new yeast, a once dual-strain that came from now unknown UK brewery* and has since been in the hands of a very generous yeast rancher. I am told it produces clean and malty beers. We shall see...

Yeoman Porter: Brown Porter
Bitter!
           
Recipe Specifics:
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 4.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.70
Anticipated OG: 1.048
Anticipated FG: 1.010
Anticipated SRM: 27
Anticipated IBU: 25
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugar:
------------
80.5% - 7.00 lbs. Pale Malt, Maris Otter
8.6%  - 0.75 lbs. Dark Crystal (75L)
5.7%  - 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt
2.9%  - 0.25 lbs. Brown Malt
2.3%  - 0.20 lbs. Pale Chocolate

Hops:
------
1.00 oz. EKG @ 60 min for 25 IBU

Yeast: BH-001
Mash 156F for 60 min
Brewed on 27 October

*Apparently, this yeast may have come from the NCYC or Whitbread yeast archives, as an unused selection from a brewing trial many years ago. Little else is known about it.

1 comment:

  1. That grain bill looks really simple but awesome at the same time. Interested in how this one will come out. I have the same problem, lots of brewing but not much drinking, mostly just give most of it away.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. No spam please.