Thursday, May 8, 2014

Hops for Wimps

Here's an old beer tasting that I wrote months ago and forgot to post until now. I probably wouldn't have posted it either, but I was reminiscing with some friends about our earliest college-drinking days and it was brought up that I was once a complete wimp when it came to hoppy beers, barely tolerating a pint of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. And that is the truth. While my buddies drank cans of Dale's Pale Ale and pints of Stone IPA, I'd drink Michelob Amber Bock and complain that hoppy beer made my stomach hurt. I admit this now, because this beer tasting is a perfect example of how things have changed. This beer was brewed, initially, to be a somewhat sessionable and hoppy pale ale/bitter... but somewhere along the line morphed into a hop monster. When all was said and done, this 4 gallon batch of 5% beer had over a half pound of hops pass through it. Galaxy. Centennial. Simcoe. I wish I could go back in time and see the 19 year old version of me drinking this stuff. 

Hoppy Bitter: American Pale Ale

Appearance - Slightly hazy amber/copper color with a large, fluffy head that has good retention.

Aroma - Big tropical fruit - mango, passionfruit, pineapple - with citrusy hop character in the mix. The galaxy hops particularly stands out with its dank and passionfruit-y aroma.

Taste - Typical American IPA+ hop flavor supported by some English malt character that actually provides some balance. Again, the galaxy hops are all over this beer; passionfruit, pine, and citrus peel. Bitterness is high and the beer finishes clean and crisp.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is somewhat low and the beer has a full mouthfeel.

Drinkability & Notes - Hop character of a double IPA in a 5.0% bitter/pale. This is the type of beer that I wish most commercial session IPA's were... instead of weak and watery malt and grassy hops, the combination of Maris Otter, dark crystal, and a touch of amber did a fine job of supporting the tropical hop punch. That said, next time I'll dial back the dry hopping, as 5 oz is a bit overkill in a beer this size. Recipe Here.

O:G: 1.048, F:G: 1.010. 4.9% ABV. 40 IBU. MJ44 

1 comment:

  1. This is excellent - I remember asking the bartender for the same beer that my friend had purchased once because it looked nice and light. Turned out it was a strong IPA and I had no idea what I was in for. Now IPAs are some of the only beers that keep my interest!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. No spam please.